Friday, March 24, 2006

When I Grow Up

When I grow up I want to be an artist. I want to be able to paint beautiful paintings (encaustic, preferably) and sell them to people who love them, not just to people who love me. I want to be able to make enough money to pay for all the really cool supplies that are available out there. I want to not be intimidated by other people's art and I want to know how to find artist communities and galleries and gatherings.

I want to be a "real" artist.

My cousin is a real artist. He is getting a master's degree in art and is paid to make ceramic art. He goes to the artist gatherings and shows and participates in all that artsy stuff. Maybe I should ask him. I really intend to, but we can't get him away from his art "work" long enough to have a good conversation about it all.

Anyway.

I want to be an artist. What we need to do and what we want to do sometimes overlap, but for now I'll teach 2 year olds for my monetary contribution to the family and be happy doing those other things I love, being "Mom" and "honey" and dabbling in a vast array of arts and crafts. And keeping my sink clean for the first time in my life!

But someday....when I grow up.....I want to be an artist.

When do you figure "grown up" happens? At 33 I don't feel it yet. When does that come? With grandkids?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For Linda and me the idea of having our first grandkid has made us much less "grown up".

John

Anonymous said...

Let me know when you figure this out. I still feel the need to waffle & explain that I studied art, but I'm not a 'real' artist, but I feel miffed when I'm constantly referred to as 'crafty'. Go figure.

And define 'grown up'. Am I a grown-up? I'm not sure! 8^)

geraldine