Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Things I'm Proud Of

This blog is meant to contain photos. Blogger is apparently experiencing technical difficulties with photo uploading. I waited to post since they were officially "down" yesterday but I still can't upload photos and am tired of waiting. I will post this photo-less blog and try to post it's photos via Picasa in a separate blog.

Here goes:

In an effort to not be so boring, I've decided to try to post something interesting. The fact that it's only interesting to me probably makes it just that much more boring but hey, it is MY blog after all.

Here are a few things I've been proud of here lately:

1. Hunter.
Hunter has been making good decisions lately when I least expected it. He even called me from a friend's house to ask if he should get in the pool with his buddies even though both parents were gone. (The answer was obvious, but he needed reinforcement and he knew it.) I was so proud I almost busted.


2. Todd.
Todd's done some great stuff with the youth group this summer and he's done it with great aplomb. He has been trying his best to always have a good attitude, which is tricky your third week away from home, on very little sleep, with a large group of teens and pre-teens. I've had more help than usual this summer since we're here near family but I also miss him more than usual this year while he's gone.


3. My mad book-editing skills.
As most of you know, we are on this never-ending saga of book editing with Gailyn VanRheenen. It is a skill I did not have when I volunteered and I'm afraid that I've been slow in learning it. If, however, anyone is ever unwise enough to ask me to do this again sometime...I'm all over it! It should only take 3 weeks instead of 6 months next time. We're actually almost done now!




I'll tell you how you can buy it when it finally does get published but I must warn you, if you're not a "missionary type" you won't appreciate it. If you are, it's pretty stinkin' cool!


4. The return of my long-lost cooking muse.
I used to love cooking. Really love it. For some time now I've been dreading it at every meal. I guess it's because I can never make everyone happy....or, sometimes, anyone happy. I know that this is not necessary. Kids will eat what you fix if there's no other choice. However, it's nice to have your food appreciated when you fix it. Josiah's dietary restrictions also make cooking a real thinking excercise and that tends to wear on me.
Lately I've ventured out a bit, however. It helps to get some good ingredients....like Josiah-safe mayonaise. Here's what I made for him tonight:



It's corn noodles and sauted chicken with "vegan-aise" and Italian dressing....and it tastes fantastic, if I do say so myself. Just FYI, mayo and Italian makes-a one-a tasty sauce-a.




5. My brave venturing.
I've been driving up a storm this summer...mostly without Todd. This may seem minor, but I really don't enjoy driving, especially through the Metroplex. I'm intimidated by my lack of anything resembling a sense of direction. I am overcoming this! (the compass in my van helps) I'm not saying I want to become a bus driver or anything, but not being afraid to leave the house is definitely freeing!

I think it's cool how thinking of things to be thankful for/proud of opens up a floodgate of thankfulness. The more I write about, the more I think of to be thankful for. I must say that it's good to feel good about myself amd my family. I think I was depressed there for a little while. I definitely feel better now. I'm thankful for that most of all.

No comments: